A little while ago I mentioned I was working on something, and this was it! I'd been meaning to get to it for a little while, but it took me a little while to get around to finishing it (and in the same vein as the DDC alteration, I ended up finishing off both arms on the morning of the day I decided I wanted to wear it...).
I'm not a fan of one pieces, they usually feel very restrictive and limited- style and comfort wise. So I resolved to remove the sleeves and collar. The collar was cut too high, and the arms too wide for me. I'm planning to use the fabric from the sleeves to make a matching beret as well as possibly using some to trim the pockets of a cropped jacket. Who knows when I'll get to that though!
I did consider selling this piece, but I received it in a lucky pack and it was and still is quite unpopular (most people perfer the JSK in the other colour) so I decided to make it work for me instead.
First step was to remove everything and uncover APs's secrets.
Sleeves and collar removed. From this point I had Thali help me with marking out a new neckline, and used some black velveteen we had to make my own bias binding. I cut in the new neckline and also brought in the arm scythe and then attached the bias binding by hand.
Finished! I don't think I attached the binding in a very conventional manner. In fact other than resewing DDC's binding back on, I haven't really used bias binding before. I'm quite happy with how it turned out. I had to decide whether I wanted to bring the arm scythe in again further, but doing so would risk ruining the shoulder decoration- the silver trim unraveled like nobodies business- so in the end I left it wider than I would have prefered.
Paired with a black chiffon blouse, the dress will be a lot more comfortable in an Australian climate.
I think using the velveteen to trim it keeps some of the character of the garment and doesn't detract too much, it's certainly a lot more comfortable and a little more versatile!
I have not forgotten the pink dress I was making either, I finally got the last bit of fabric I needed- now if I can just find the time...